IHI Save 5 Million Lives
Do No Harm.
It's the fundamental principle for health care providers. Despite the hard work and best intentions of caregivers, thousands of patients are harmed in US hospitals every day. IHI, otherwise known as the Institute For Healthcare Improvement started with it's partner organizations to launch the 100,000 Lives Campaign, a national effort to reduce preventable deaths in US hospitals. This has now evolved to Protecting 5 Million Lives From Harm Campaign. The initiative includes the past 6 components from the Save 100,000 Lives Campaign plus 6 additional initiatives. The six initiatives from the 100,000 Lives Campaign are:
- Deploy Rapid Response Teams... at first sign of patient decline (Elliot has the CAT team or critical assessment team that has been in place since May 2006.
- Deliver reliable, Evidence-Based Care for MI... to prevent deaths from heart attack
- Prevent Adverse Drug Events... by implementing medication reconciliation
- Prevent Central Line Infections... by implementing a series of interdependent, scientifically grounded steps which we are doing at the Elliot right now
- Prevent Surgical Site Infections... by reliably delivering the correct perioperative antibiotics at the proper time
The new interventions targeted at harm are:
- Prevent Harm from High-Alert Medications... starting with a focus on anticoagulants, sedatives, narcotics, and insulin
- Reduce Surgical Complications... by reliably implementing all of the changes recommended by SCIP, the Surgical Care Improvement Project
- Prevent Pressure Ulcers... by reliably using science-based guidelines for their prevention
- Reduce Methicillin-Resistant Staphyloccus Aureus (MRSA) infection... by reliably implementing scientifically proven infection control practices. We are currently taking nasal swabs from all pt.'s admitted to ICU & those coming from other facilities to identify those already infected before getting to our facility.
- Deliver reliable, Evidence-Based Care for Congestive Heart Failure
- Get Boards on Board... by defining and spreading the best known leveraged processes for hospital boards of directors, so that they can be effective in accelerating organizational progress toward safe care
To learn more about the 5 Million Lives Campaign please visit www.ihi.org/ihi/programs/campaign.