Level II Trauma Center
One Elliot Way
Manchester, NH 03103
The Pharmacist Role In The Emergency Department
Only 1-3% of hospitals in the US have an emergency room pharmacist. Elliot Hospital has a pharmacist in the Emergency Room 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Interview patients that are going to be admitted to the hospital so that an accurate list of their home medications can be reviewed by the ED physicians.
- Provide drug information to nurses and physicians.
- Work with physicians to provide the most appropriate medications and doses for each patient.
- Add or update medication allergies in patients' medical records to avoid future adverse reactions.
- Identify unlabeled patient medications - can include the identification of medications from other countries.
- Assist the emergency room staff in getting medications for patients as quickly as possible.